To obtain child sup­port, the request­ing par­ent must pre­pare and file a motion or Request for Order (Judi­cial Coun­cil Form FL-300), an Income and Expense Dec­la­ra­tion (Judi­cial Coun­cil Form FL-150) or Sim­pli­fied Finan­cial State­ment (Judi­cial Coun­cil Form FL-155) in cer­tain cir­cum­stances, and a Proof of Ser­vice (usu­al­ly Judi­cial Coun­cil Form POS-030 or POS-040). The doc­u­ments must be filed with the court clerk. The request­ing par­ent must also pay to the court clerk a required fil­ing fee for fil­ing the motion or request for order. You can find the statewide fil­ing fee sched­ule here. Final­ly, copies of all the doc­u­ments filed with the court clerk must be served on the oth­er par­ent.

In the motion or request for order for child sup­port the request­ing par­ty must list what relief he or she is ask­ing for. This will con­sist of child sup­port, and may include a request for spousal sup­port. The request­ing par­ent can also ask for attor­neys fees from the oth­er par­ent. The request­ing par­ty also should include a brief state­ment of his or her earn­ings or earn­ing poten­tial, as well as the earn­ings or earn­ing poten­tial of the oth­er spouse. For exam­ple, if the request­ing par­ent was the stay-at-home par­ent dur­ing the mar­riage, hasn’t worked in many years, and has out-of-date skills, the request­ing par­ty should state those facts. Also, if the oth­er spouse has been the pri­ma­ry income earn­er dur­ing the mar­riage, or has a rel­a­tive­ly large income com­pared to the request­ing spouse, the request­ing spouse should state those facts as well.

The request­ing spouse should com­plete the Income and Expense Dec­la­ra­tion com­plete­ly, and should list income from all sources, as well as all actu­al, antic­i­pat­ed, or esti­mat­ed expens­es.

The more time the request­ing spouse spends prepar­ing a com­plete and cur­rent state­ment of his or her finan­cial needs and oblig­a­tions, the bet­ter the chance of favor­able out­come from the judge.

Back to Child Sup­port FAQs